Monday, October 19, 2015

Macas d'Or & Beautiful Badness


Hello All.

So in this blog I am going to write it in French and in English (French for my Belgian friends and English for my friends back home.) I hope my French isn’t too bad! Anyways here we go!
Monday I had touristic geography. I have been working on my project on the Ile-de-France all week last week but I didn’t get to present because there wasn’t enough time. I think I will present tomorrow! On Monday, I also found out about a school trip I will be going once. We are going to the French region of Champagne for a day during the end of October. It sounds really fun and I am really excited to go with all my classmates. On Tuesday, I cooked in the cafeteria. There was carrot soup, pork and apple crumble. The apple crumble was my favorite. Wednesday started the trend of coming home and going to bed late. After my 3 classes, I went home for 2 hours then went back to school in my clothes to work in the restaurant. My school catered a huge event for the city of Wavre, the capital of Barbant-Wallon and the city where my school is. I worked the event with my other classmates. It was so much fun and reminded me so much of home when I used to work with my mom and Ms. Becky. I cleared tables and served the amazing masterpieces of the students who were cooking back in the kitchen. I was really nervous to carry things (I actually ended up breaking a couple wine glasses that night oops!) but I did pretty well. My favorite part of the night was taking pictures with all of the IPES students together at the photo booth. The night finished around midnight and I was in bed by 1 am. Thursday was a long day mostly because I was super tired. In my economic class (honestly it’s more like government class) we had a quiz on last year’s topics so I pretty much knew nothing, but my friend gave me his notes from last year and I had made copies. The test was open note but the teacher literally sat next to me and worked through it all with me. Even though I understood almost all the questions and had the notes. Thursday evening I went to a concert with my host mom in Brussels. We saw Beautiful Badness, the band of her music teacher, perform. They were amazing and their music was so cool. We bought their CD and jammed out on the car ride home. Friday was another day in the kitchen for me at school. We had some left over merchandise so our teacher gave us a challenge. It was like a simple version of the TV show chopped. We had to make a plate with a sauce, salmon, 3 different vegetables and a potatoes. The chef said I could do it American style so I cut the vegetables like I would if I made a fajita and grilled the salmon with the veggies. I made mashed potatoes and garlic cream sauce too. It tasted pretty yummy. Friday night I spent with Rachel! With the crazy long, exhausting week I had we pretty much walked home from the gare, ate dinner and went to sleep. The next morning we woke up at 6 am to catch the train to Namur. In Namur, we met up with other rotary exchange students to visit the parliament of Wallonia. Belgium is split into 3 different governments, The Flemish government (Flanders), The French government (Wallonia) and the Brussels government. It is complicated to explain so watch this video to help get your head together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9_nWglRDX0
After we sat in the seats of the members of parliament and listened to speeches about the government, we went on a boat ride in Namur. It was cold but worth seeing the beautiful houses right on the edge of the river. After Namur, a few of the students (including me) went to the Horta Museum in Brussels. Horta was a very famous architect from Belgium and the museum is his house. It was so pretty and the tour felt like we were back in time. I could imagine living in his work of art. After the tour, I stayed at my host dad’s apartment in Brussels. I love coming to the big city for the weekends when I can. Sunday, I was finally able to sleep in. Then we had some friends over for lunch. I took the little girls who were here to the park to play. It was really peaceful and fun to see everyone again. Countdown to Paris is 12 Days y’all! I am so excited to go back to one of my favorite places ever.

Until Next Time!
 

 
 
En Français:
Bonjour tout le monde.
Pour ce blog, je vais écrire en français et en anglais (français pour mes amies belge, anglais pour mes amies aux Etats-Unis). J’espère mon français n’est pas très mal. Alors, on y va. Lundi, j’ai le cours géographie touristique. Je travaillais sur le projet de l’Ile-de-France tout la semaine dernière mais je n’ai pas présenté parce qu’il n’était pas beaucoup de temps. Je pense que je vais présenter demain. En Lundi, j’ai appris d’un voyage avec école.  Nous allons aller à Champagne en France pour un jour la dernière d’Octobre. Je suis très contente pour un voyage avec mes amis! En Mardi, J’ai cuisiné dans la cuisine communarde. Il était soupe de la carotte, porc et crumble de pomme. Mon préfère est le crumble de pomme. Mercredi a commencé la nuit très tard. Apres mes 3 cours, je suis rentré à ma maison pour 2 heures. Apres les 2 heures, je suis revenu q école avec ma tenue pour salle. Mon école était le traiteur pour les Macas d’Or, un grand éventement dans l’hôtel de ville en Wavre. Je travaillais avec mes amis d’école. C’était très drôle et il m’a rappelé les temps j’ai travaillé pour Mme. Becky (une aime de ma mère). Je débrasais les tables et servi les nourritures des étudiants dans la cuisine. J’étais très nerveuse pour faire le servie (malheureusement, je cassais 4 verres) mais c’était pas mal. Mon part perfore du soir était quand tous les élèves prend une photo ensemble dans le photomaton. Le soir a fini à minuit et je suis allé à lit à 1 heure sur le matin. Jeudi était un jour très long parc que j’étais fatiguée. Dans EES, il était un contrôle du 5ieme année alors je ne connais pas tous mais j’ai fait les photocopies des mots de mon ami. Le contrôle était avec les cours mais le prof a aidé moi pour tous la cour bien que je connais comment faire avec les mots. Jeudi soir, ma mère d’accueil et moi sommes allé un concert de Beautiful Badness en Brussels. C’était magnifique. Elle a acheté un CD et nous avons écouté sur la route à la maison. Vendredi, j’étais dans la couine encore. J’ai faire le saumon avec les légumes <<Fajiita>> et la purée de pomme de terre. C’était très bon. Vendredi soir je suis resté avec Rachel. Nous ne faisons pas beaucoup parce nous étions épuises. Le prochain matin, nous nous sommes réveillés à 6h sur le matin pour aller à Namur. Dans Namur, Nous avons rendez-vous avec les autres étudiants de rotary pour faire une visite du parlement de Wallonie. Apres la visite, nous sommes allés sur un bateau. C’était un peu froid mais la vue était très belle. Apres Namur, Je suis allé à Bruxelles pour faire une visite de la Musée Horta. Horta était un architecte belge qui est très populaire. Nous ne pouvions pas prendre les photos L mais j’aimais beaucoup. Apres la visite, J’ai resté avec mon père d’accueil dans Bruxelles. J’adore la grande ville pour les weekends. Dimanche, je dormais beaucoup. Nous mangions avec les amis dimanche aussi. J’ai pris les petites filles au parc. C’était très beau et calme. Il y a juste 12 jours avant Paris! Je suis très contente pour aller à ma ville préfère dans toute la monde.
A la prochaine fois/ Until Next Time
Shelby
 

 
Beautiful Badness
my food ~ ma nourriture
Namur
Boat Ride ~ Sur le Bateau
Photo Booth Pictures ~ Photos de la Photomaton
Parliament Visit ~ Visite de Parlement  

No comments:

Post a Comment